2kg Fillet of Beef
2tbs English Mustard
500g Puff Pastry
500g Parma Ham
4 Sprigs of Thyme
100ml White Wine
1 egg for egg wash
- Dice the mushrooms and Sauté in a pan. Add the thyme and wine and continue to sauté until the wine has been absorbed.
- Season the Beef with salt and pepper and seal in a hot pan on all sides.
- Place the Beef in a preheated oven at 180c for 15-20mins and then cool.
- Lay out the Parma ham on a large sheet of cling film and spread with the mustard then place the cool fillet of beef on top and roll up tightly. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Roll out the puff pastry to the thickness of a one pound coin. Cut in to one rectangular piece and one square piece. Place the fillet of beef on top of the rectangular piece of puff pastry and place the square piece of puff pastry on top of the fillet of beef. Join the seams around the bottom by crimping the pastry.
- With the back of a knife mark with a criss cross pattern over the top of the Wellington but be careful not to cut through the pastry.
- Brush with the egg wash and bake in the oven at 180c for 22-26min.
- Remove from the oven and rest for 20mins before serving.
This recipe was created by Smallpiece Catering, based in Southampton.
Head Chef, Ann Smallpiece, established Smallpiece Catering in 2010. After working for over 30 years in the catering industry, Ann wanted to create a unique experience and service for clients, which took their thoughts and ideas and turned them into a seamless reality. In 2012, Ann’s daughter, Gemma joined the business, bringing a wealth of experience in sales, marketing and event management.
The family duo create bespoke menus for each and every client whether it’s a wedding feast, fine dining dinner, corporate event, BBQ, afternoon tea or a simple buffet. They source local food suppliers who provide the finest ingredients, to complement their menus perfectly.
Find out more about the producers of the local ingredients used in this recipe: