Beef Brisket Ragout with Wild Mushrooms
500g beef brisket
3tbs olive oil
2 fennels, sliced
2 large leeks, finely sliced
1 red onion, sliced
1 carrot, diced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
150ml full bodied red wine
150ml beef stock
4-5tbs tomato puree
25g dried wild mushrooms
Sage, bay leaf
Parsley, finely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1. To make the sauce, heat the oil in a large pan and brown the brisket in one piece till seared. Set aside.
2. Heat more oil in the pan and soften the fennels, leeks, onion, carrot and garlic for 12-15 minutes or until soft. Set aside.
3. Preheat the oven to 130C and place the meat, sautéed vegetables and tomato puree, sage and bay leaf in a large tray. Cover with red wine and stock and cook for another 3-4 hours till the meat is tender.
4. Remove the meat and shred with two forks.
5. In a small bowl soak the mushrooms for at least 10 minutes and add to the tray with vegetables
6. Cook the pasta until it’s just al dente.
7. Check the seasoning, heat through and stir through the pasta.