Chalkstream Trout with Parsley Root Purée, Cucumber and Horseradish
A traditional taste of Hampshire, and a world away from the tiny trout found on restaurant plates of old, today’s fish is a fresh and delicious alternative to salmon. It is showcased perfectly in this recipe from Luke Matthews.
4 x 100g trout portions, skin off and pin-boned
1 tsp duck fat
1 cucumber, peeled, scooped out into balls with a Parisian scoop then vacuum packed with a
pinch of salt
Parsley root, peeled into long strips. Fry at 160ºC till crisp and turn out onto draining paper
For the parsley root purée
500g parsley roots, peeled and diced
150ml double cream
Salt and pepper
For the horseradish sauce
200ml skimmed milk
60g fresh horseradish, grated
1. To make the purée, cover the parsley roots with water, add some salt then boil till soft.
2. Strain then add cream and butter. Bring back to the boil and reduce by half.
3. Put in a food processor and blitz till a smooth consistency, correct the seasoning.
4. For the horseradish sauce, bring the milk and horseradish to the boil. Remove from the heat and cover with clingfilm. Infuse for
5. 15 minutes then pass through a sieve and add the lecithin. Blend with a hand-held blender to aerate.
6. Set the water bath to 60ºC.
7. Vacuum pack the trout into single bags with one tablespoon of duck fat then drop in the water bath for ten minutes. If you do not have a water bath, warm the duck fat to 80ºC in a pan, drop the trout in and cook for 6-8 minutes.
8. Warm the purée and set into the bottom of a bowl plate.
9. Remove the trout from the bag, draining away the excess oil and place on top.
10. Spoon over some of the horseradish foam and then lay over a couple of the parsley crisps, three or four of the cucumber balls and then the watercress.
This recipe was created by Luke Matthews, Executive Head Chef at Chewton Glen Hotel and Spa.
“I think it is great to support local producers, their passion for businesses is second to none and similar to the mind-set we have here at Chewton Glen. Plus it is really important to me that we constantly try to reduce our food miles, using local suppliers is a great way to do this.” - Luke, Chewton Glen Hotel and Spa.
ChalkStream source, prepare and deliver the finest, freshest rainbow trout from their local sustainable river farms.Find out more
Chewton Glen is a 5-star country house hotel with an award-winning restaurant, spa, gym, pool and 130 acres of land.Find out more