Eat Seasonally: Spring
Cooking doesn’t need to be complicated. If you cook seasonally, you can keep it simple so that you let flavours sing. In spring that means the season’s new potatoes (such as those from Boxxfresh) served sprinkled with your choice of chopped herbs and a knob of butter. Vegetables are at their freshest crunchiest best – so purple sprouting broccoli can be steamed. Together they make the perfect accompaniment to roast spring lamb traditionally served at Easter.
For your shopping list, here is what is in season in April
- Herbs basil, chives, dill.
- Salads lettuce, sorrel, watercress.
- Vegetables broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, celeriac, mushrooms, new potatoes, onions, purple-sprouting broccoli, spring greens.
- Fruits rhubarb (actually a vegetable, but used as a fruit typically).
- Meats spring lamb, wood pigeon.
- Seafood clams, coley, crab, herring, Jon Dory, langoustine, lobstr, plaice, prawn, red mullet, salmon, brown trout, shrimp, whelks.
If you are keen to eat seasonally to support the environment, please buy from local independents, such as butchers, greengrocers, fishmongers, farm shops and delis who can reassure you about the provenance of the produce they sell.