Four Seasons Hampshire's Beef and Ale Pie Recipe
Four Seasons Hampshire's Beef and Ale Pie
2.2 lb (1 kg) chuck of organic beef, diced into 1 inch (2.5 cm) cubes
3 tbsp (45 ml) olive oil
½ cup plus 2 tbsp (155 ml) unsalted butter
2 onions, chopped
2 large carrots, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
2 cups (500 ml) button mushrooms, cut in half
1 tbsp (15 ml) tomato puree
1 cup (250 ml) flour
2 pints (950 ml) Gold Muddler Ale (*)
4 cups (1 L) chicken stock
2 sprigs thyme
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 sheet puff pastry
2 egg yolks
(*) Gold Muddler (Alc 4.2%) is sold by draught in Bar 1086. A beautifully crafted Hampshire Ale it is brewed using the finest floor malted English barley, by the family run Andwell Brewing Company who are located just 7 miles from the hotel. A golden blonde ale with a fresh taste and light citrus aroma, it takes its name from a fishing fly used for luring trout in the chalk fed rivers in our local area.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 365?F (185?C). Meanwhile, warm the olive oil in a large frying pan and brown the diced beef. Place in a heavy bottomed ovenproof casserole dish.
2. In the same frying pan, saut? the onions, carrots, celery and mushrooms with the butter until softened and lightly coloured. Add the tomato paste and flour and stir for 2 minutes before adding the beer, chicken stock and thyme. Bring to the boil, then add to the beef in the casserole dish. Cover and cook in the oven for three hours or until the meat is extremely tender.
3. Remove the meat and the onions from the liquid into a clean saucepan. Reduce the liquid by two-thirds; add salt and pepper as needed, then set aside until it is completely cool.
4. Take six individual ovenproof pie dishes and divide the beef equally between them, then pour the sauce over the top.
5. Cut the puff pastry into six equal discs then place the pastry lid on top of the pie dish, crimping with finger and thumb to seal.
6. Brush the tops with beaten egg yolks and bake in the oven at 365?F (185?C). until golden brown.